Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Makeup-Pro Tips for Flawless Skin

Quick: If you had to wake up tomorrow with either a bad skin or bad hair day, which would you choose? According to a Women's Health poll, the majority of women would choose bad hair. I couldn't agree more. Bad hair can be remedied with ponytails and headbands. Less than stellar skin is much harder to cover up. 

So, what to do when a bad skin day hits?!

I asked a pro while recently working for Make Up For Ever, producers of the highly coveted HD Foundation. I have been using it for years, and absolutely swear by it! But, to be perfectly honest, I sort of just slather it on and hope for the best.

Luckily, Makeup Artist extraordinaire, Amanda Wright gave me a few extra pointers:

1- Moisturize
Make sure your skin is super moisturized before you apply foundation, otherwise you'll just be a flaky mess. Amanda likes to use industry favorite, EmbryoLisse, or Makeup Forever HD Elixir right before makeup application for a luminous glow. If you have oily skin, she suggests using a primer and/or mattifying gel like Make Up For Ever's All Mat.
.
2- Don't be afraid of color concealer
Repeat after me: green concealer is not scary. When used correctly, it truly makes red blemishes disappear, without giving you a Frankenstein hue. Use sparingly, tap on lightly with a finger or soft brush, and top with flesh-colored foundation. For me, the bane of my existence is a small blue vein under my eye. Amanda applied a peach/orange colored concealer to neutralize it first, and it all but disappeared! If you have a red complexion, you can even use a green tinted primer. Amanda swears by it! And for dark circles? Use a combo of the green and orange. By neutralizing first, you'll need less foundation, so your skin looks more like skin, and less like cake layers.

3- Blend well
Every makeup artist I've ever worked with swears by the beauty blender, that bright pink, pointy, egg-shaped sponge used to apply foundation. I prefer my fingers personally, but I must say, the sponge helps create a "I'm not wearing any makeup" look. It fits in small places like the crease of the nose and the corners of the eye.

4- Perfect with powder
Last but not least, finish with a light dusting of powder to ensure your makeup won't crease or run off throughout the day. Focus under the eyes, in the center of the forehead, on and around the nose, and on the chin.

There you have it! Flawless-looking skin in 5 minutes!



No comments:

Post a Comment